I’ve never had a problem with cooking rice. Couscous caused some difficulties, but I think I’ve cracked it now. And then along came a funny-sounding pseudo-cereal that divided the masses with how it was supposed to be pronounced.
Hello QUINOA aka /ˈkiːnwɑː/
It’s been touted as a superfood – as the ONLY GRAIN THAT YOU’LL EVER NEED TO EAT (unless you’re on the Atkins Diet or the Paleo). But how on earth to cook quinoa?
I’ve had several attempts and (toes crossed), I think I’ve mastered it.
So here goes…
How to cook quinoa (for 2 people)
- Put one cup of quinoa in a saucepan
- Drizzle it in olive oil and cook over a low heat, lightly.
- Add two cups of cold water and turn up the heat until it boils.
- Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and cover it with a lid for 10 minutes.
- Drizzle with olive oil, add a spinkle of sea salt and a touch of pepper.
Personally, I like to add things to my quinoa, such as roast courgette, green beans and perhaps a bit of feta.
Quinoa is easily available from health stores and major supermarkets.