I’m not sure there’s such a thing as ‘healthy chocolate’ but I wanted to give it a go. These are made using raw ingredients, including raw chocolate and agave syrup. I have also added a handful of chia seeds which are said to reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food you eat from being absorbed into your system. Read more about chia seeds and their benefits here >
I’m not a ‘proper’ cook and don’t own a set of weighing scales so everything’s done with cups. This will make approximately 35 balls.
1.5 cups dessicated coconut
0.75 cup agave syrup (or maple syrup – but this doesn’t make it raw)
0.75 cup of raw cocoa powder
0.25 cup of coconut oil
0.25 cup of chia seeds
Handful of chopped up dates (optional)
If you want to make these extra fruity, you can also add dried mulberries, cranberries or another dried fruit.
- Add all the dry ingredients together in a bowl (coconut, cocoa and chia seeds).
- Stir in the rest of the ingredients and mix well. This gets really messy so if you’re a clean freak, use a wooden spoon. However, hands are best.
- Once everything is thoroughly mixed in, leave your mixture in the freezer for 15 minutes.
- Using clean hands, scoop up teaspoon sized blobs and rolls these into balls.
- Place onto a tin lined with greaseproof paper and refrigerate until time to eat.
- Remove all traces of chocolate ball scoffage if you just can’t resist eating all of them immediately.
- Start again.
Let me know how yours turn out!