I don’t know if you’ve ever tried them, but in Chinatown you can buy these packets of delicious exotic fruit jellies. The problem with them is that they somehow disappear from my fridge all too quickly and even worse, they’re full of all sorts of nasty stuff. So I decided to make my own using Zico coconut water.
Since I love lychees it was a natural choice to use these in my recipe. I love them because they look like eyeballs and are deliciously sweet and juicy. I’d normally prefer to use fresh ones but tinned ones work just as well, especially as the juice in them helps add to the sweetness.
If you wanted to make this vegan, you could use agar instead of gelatin – both work equally well. You can also make this recipe less sweet by replacing the lychee juice with more Zico coconut water for a lighter taste.
- ½ can lychees in juice
- 1 packet of high quality gelatin
- 1 cup of Zico coconut water
- ½ fresh lime
- Punnet of raspberries
- Whizz up the lychees and cup of Zico coconut water together and squeeze in half the lime.
- In a separate container, prepare the gelatin as instructed – this will likely take up 120 – 200ml of hot water and you won’t want more than 1 pint of liquid in total (including the gelatin) otherwise it won’t set.
- Add the lychee mix to the gelatin and stir well.
- Distribute evening to glass jars or silicone cupcake holders and add raspberries where required.
- Refrigerate overnight or until firm to touch.
Enjoy with lemon sorbet or on its own. It’s the perfect dessert for your next dinner party and can be made the night before.
I’m a Zico Ambassador (so much fun!) and this is a sponsored post. I absolutely love coconut water and experimenting with healthy recipes.