Cold soup, like gazpacho, was never a favourite for me – I didn’t get the whole cold soup concept. In fact, I’m not really a fan of cold food and I especially love my comfort food! But there are times when all you want is a cold soup. This is great as everything in it is so good for you and I especially enjoy this post-workout or as a light lunch.
The cucumber and lettuce are hydrating and refreshing and garlic is such a natural medicine, so much so, that Hippocrates used to ‘prescribe’ it for several medical conditions. It’s said to help lower blood pressure and even boost the function of the immune system. The lime adds some sharpness to it and the avocado, the creaminess. Avocado is also a great source of good fats. And of course the coconut water! Zico uses 100% coconut water so there’s no added sugar or flavouring like in some brands.
Some people hate coriander so leave that out if that’s you but it has some great benefits, including helping to flush heavy metals from the body.
So enjoy this rather unusual but delicious soup and think of all the nourishment it’s giving your body as you eat it.
- 1 ½ cups romaine lettuce, chopped up
- 1/2 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and chopped up
- ½ cup of Zico coconut water
- Juice from ½ lime
- ½ clove of garlic
- A pinch of Himalayan Sea Salt
- Black pepper
- ½ avocado
- 2 teaspoons good quality extra virgin olive oil
- A couple of fresh mint leaves and coriander leaves
- Blend together the lettuce, cucumber, coconut water, lime juice, herbs, salt, black pepper and garlic until smooth.
- Then add the avocado and olive oil and blend further until smooth.
- Taste and adjust salt and pepper as required.
- Enjoy immediately!
This is best served quite thick but smooth. However, if you want it more runny, add in more coconut water until you have a desirable consistency.